7/21/15

Review: The Heir by Kiera Cass



Series: The Selection #4
Genre: YA, romance, dystopia
Release date: May 5th 2015 
Length:  342 pages

Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon—and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has no interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long as possible.

But a princess's life is never entirely her own, and Eadlyn can't escape her very own Selection—no matter how fervently she protests.

Eadlyn doesn't expect her story to end in romance. But as the competition begins, one entry may just capture Eadlyn's heart, showing her all the possibilities that lie in front of her . . . and proving that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought.

My rating: ★★★★

“You can be brave and still be feminine. You can lead and still love flowers. Most importantly, you can be queen and still be a bride.”

To be honest, I didn’t really know what to expect from this book. To me, the story of America was over and it sounded a little weird to have two more books. But that didn’t stop me for being excited for this book!

I finished the whole book in less than one day and I don’t know Kiera managed to keep me interested, because Eadlyn was a bitch during 70% of the time. Like…


She’s spoiled, immature, selfish and thinks that she can do whatever she wants because she’s going to be queen. “I was Eadlyn Schreave. No one was more powerful than me.” *rolls eyes* During the first part of the book I wanted to throw my book across the room. Thank God, Kiera gave her a little character development, because I almost couldn’t handle it. So yes… after a while she started to grow on me... But that didn’t stop her for making dumb decisions that made me cringe... Ugh, well she’s not evil and I don’t hate her… I just don’t really like her either.

“I’m not sure anyone knows what they’re looking for until they find it.”

I think the thing that really kept me interested were the boys. Because who the hell wouldn’t want 35 guys fighting for you? (RIGHT EADLYN?!!) Right from the beginning I liked Kile a lot. He’s the silent bookworm with big dreams that stole my heart even before Eadlyn realized he was worth her time. I also like Hale and Henri! I’m actually very curious to find out more about them. Eadlyn doesn’t really interacts a lot with them and since we only have one POV, I’m dying to find out what the guys really think about the whole Selection and Eadlyn herself.

The plot of this book is actually really good and addictive (that’s why I managed to read it in one day)!  We get glimpses of how much the country has changed since America and Maxon married. The little moments with America and Maxon were really nice. I also really liked reading about their 3 other kids! They were so cute (and so much different than Eadlyn)! My favorite brother was Ahren. In my opinion, he was the best side character. I would have loved to read more about him though.

“When you know who matters most to you, giving things up, even yourself, doesn’t really feel like a sacrifice.”

Oh and that ending!!! Ohmygod, what a cruel cliffhanger! In some way it was a little unnecessary drama. But in the other way it was needed, otherwise (I think) a lot of people wouldn’t have continued reading this series (due to Eadlyn’s bitch-personality). I guess we’ll have to wait for book 5 to see if it was really worth it.

So overall, it was a pretty good read. Too bad for the lack of switch in POV, but Kiera’s writing style is still very addictive. And concerning Eadlyn… well I guess you have to read the book yourself to find out if you like her or not. A lot of people have mixed opinions. But if you enjoyed the previous three books, than I definitely recommend that you continue with this series!

"There are some things you don't learn about yourself until you let someone else into the most intimate places of your heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment