6/9/15

Review: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Series: Throne of Glass #1
Genre: YA, romance, magic, badass
Release date: August 2nd 2012
L
ength: 404 pages


Meet Celaena Sardothien.
Beautiful. Deadly. Destined for greatness.
In the dark, filthy salt mines of Endovier, an eighteen-year-old girl is serving a life sentence. She is a trained assassin, the best of her kind, but she made a fatal mistake: she got caught.
Young Captain Westfall offers her a deal: her freedom in return for one huge sacrifice. Celaena must represent the prince in a to-the-death tournament—fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land. Live or die, Celaena will be free. Win or lose, she is about to discover her true destiny. But will her assassin’s heart be melted?

My rating: ★★★★+0.5

 “My name is Celaena Sardothien. But it makes no difference if my name's Celaena or Lillian or Bitch, because I'd still beat you, no matter what you call me.”

Excuse me while I freak out about the perfect combination of a badass and swoon-worthy plot/characters. Because it was perfect! I've heard SO much about this series. And it made my expectations way higher than I would have liked. I was terrified of being disappointed, because although the blurb of the books sounds amazing, I was actually worried about the characters and their development. And...


IT WAS AWESOME AND PERFECT. Celaena is freaking badass and I never would have thought I would like her so much. Oh trust me, she has her terrifying moments were she reminds you how much she can make people suffer with a few blows, but despite that she still took over my heart. I want her as best friend. (Man... I never thought I would want an assassin as bestie haha)

“With each day he felt the barriers melting. He let them melt. Because of her genuine laugh, because he caught her one afternoon sleeping with her face in the middle of a book, because he knew that she would win.”

And the boys... oooooooohhh myyyyy...


Can I have both Dorian AND Chaol please?????? Dorian is the Prince Charming (literally). He's open, funny and so swoon worthy. Chaol however, as the Captain of the Guards, is strong, gorgeous, a bit mysterious and more reserved about his personal feelings. I love both so much and yet, I felt way more attracted to Chaol. Still, both relationships (non-romantical) with Celaena are amazing and I cannot wait to see how it goes further with both guys. I'm very glad they have such a huge part in the plot because I can't seem to get enough of these handsome men... *cough* especially Chaol *cough*

"She only saw the haunted gleam in his eyes before she threw her arms around his neck and held him tightly. He straightened, but she crushed her body into his, even though it still aggravated her wounds to do so. Then, after a moment, his arms wrapped around her, keeping her close to him, so close that as she shut her eyes and breathed him in, she couldn’t tell where he ended and she began."

Actually all the characters are amazing. Every single of them were well developed and interesting. I especially liked Nahemia! I cannot wait to find out more about her! She's so mysterious and I'm dying to know all her secrets!

The plot of this book is quite extraordinary and I loved every single twist and turn (THAT ENDING OMG). It actually reminded me of The Selection series by Kiera Cass. Just switch the glamor to pure badass fights and you have Throne of Glass. Despite the few resembles, I still thought this book is one of a kind. I'm not much of YA fantasy reader, and yet I loved ToG so much. It's definitely better than The Selection series!! It was so easy for me to get lost into the story. It's brilliantly written and the little POV's changes are very pleasant. I looooooved reading in Chaol's POV!

“Her hand rose to her lips and she stared up at the stars, feeling her heart grow, and grow, and grow.” 

My review is kind of vague about the plot, I know, but please go into this book a bit blind! There are a lot of mixed reviews and I feel like this is a book you just love or hate. So please, give this book a chance! You might be pleasantly surprised like I was ;)

By the way, if you consider reading the audio book: don't. I started listening and ended up SO confused! The switch in POV's wasn't mentioned by the narrator (a shame because she was very nice to listen to!). At first I couldn't get why it was so weird and I almost quit. Then I realized it wasn't my fault I didn't understood anything haha. I switched to the ebook and fell in love with it immediately.
But I must say, starting with the audio book made it much easier to read the difficult names afterwards. Since I knew how it was pronounced, I didn't have that problem like other readers.
In case of need, see below how to pronounce all the names and places ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment