4/5/15

Review: The Queen of Bright and Shiny Things by Ann Aguire


Genre: YA, romance, teens
Series: stand-alone

Sage Czinski is trying really hard to be perfect. If she manages it, people won’t peer beyond the surface, or ask hard questions about her past. She’s learned to substitute causes for relationships, and it’s working just fine… until Shane Cavendish strolls into her math class. He’s a little antisocial, a lot beautiful, and everything she never knew she always wanted.

Shane Cavendish just wants to be left alone to play guitar and work on his music. He’s got heartbreak and loneliness in his rearview mirror, and this new school represents his last chance. He doesn’t expect to be happy; he only wants to graduate and move on. He never counted on a girl like Sage.

But love doesn’t mend all broken things, and sometimes life has to fall apart before it can be put back together again…

My review: no rating, DNF 50%

*ARC received in exchange of an honest review*

*sighs* Where do I even start?
I received and ARC for this book and I was SO excited for this one. The blurb is amazing and the cover is so gorgeous. I couldn’t believe I had the chance to actually read this before the release and … then I started reading.

I’m not a fan of the writing style. At all… Maybe it’s because I’m not used to read YA anymore? It’s just wasn't my cup of tea… There were a lot of repetitions, this that were explained that were a bit unnecessary because of the context etc. But I only read like 20% at that time so I still decided to give this book a chance and keep reading.

But then the story starting to bother me too... I’m a fan of cheesy romances, but this one just went a bit too far. The cheesiness of the romance was just exploding everywhere (not in a good way in my opinion)! Like I said, I only read 50% of the book, but the romance went WAY too fast. Shane is portrayed as an introvert guy in the beginning. He doesn’t want to talk about his past, but then he just spills everything after the second or third time he’s with Sage…just weird… At times their “relationship” went extremely fast and a few moments later it was awkward and weird. I couldn’t relate with the characters and although I’m still slightly curious about Shane, it’s not enough to get me motivated to actually finish the book.

All this being said, I think I didn’t liked all of these things because I’m too old (and slightly critical when it comes to YA). I’m very into New Adult these past few months and although I still like YA books, this one just didn’t do it for me. This is why I won't rate this book.

So if you’re 14-17 years, then you should definitely consider reading this book! Who knows, maybe it’s the perfect book for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment