8/14/14

Review: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

My rating: ★★★★
Genre: young adult, romance, college, contemporary.
Series: stand-alone.

Blurb from Goodreads:

Cath and Wren are identical twins, and until recently they did absolutely everything together. Now they're off to university and Wren's decided she doesn't want to be one half of a pair any more - she wants to dance, meet boys, go to parties and let loose. It's not so easy for Cath. She's horribly shy and has always buried herself in the fan fiction she writes, where she always knows exactly what to say and can write a romance far more intense than anything she's experienced in real life.
Without Wren, Cath is completely on her own and totally outside her comfort zone. She's got a surly room-mate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can't stop worrying about her dad, who's loving and fragile and has never really been alone.
Now Cath has to decide whether she's ready to open her heart to new people and new experiences, and she's realizing that there's more to learn about love than she ever thought possible.


My review:

First of all: this book is gorgeous. The color of the book is beautiful and I love the drawings on the inside of the cover!

“I don’t trust anybody. Not anybody. And the more that I care about someone, the more sure I am they’re going to get tired of me and take off.”
I liked Cath straight from the beginning, because oh man… it was so accurate about how she felt towards collage and facing it alone. She’s basically me. Her thing with the fan fiction is amazing. I admire her for that. I wish I had it in me to write.
But oh my, she had so much to deal with. Her mom (I didn’t like her btw), Nick, her teacher, her dad… I don’t know how she did it. She has a lot of insecurities, but she’s so strong at the same time.

“It’s okay if you’re crazy,” he said softly.
“You don’t even know.”
“I don’t have to know,” he said. “I’m rooting for you.”

Levi is so sweet. Gosh, I hope someday I meet someone like him, because was just adorable when he asked Cath to read fan fiction to him.

“Happily ever after, or even just together ever after, is not cheesy,” Wren said. “It’s the noblest, like, the most courageous thing two people can shoot for.”
About Wren I wasn’t so sure in the beginning. I just couldn’t understand her. She basically left her twin sister to deal with everything alone. But I like how the story turned out and near the ending I really liked her. She’s amazing (But I still prefer Cath.)

“You’re such a weirdo…” Reagan said. “I kinda missed you.”
Oh and I liked Reagan a lot too! She’s so funny (that Bella reference was amazing! :D) and I really liked that she took the initiative to get to know Cath. These days, people don’t do that anymore, they always stick with the people they know. So I’m glad they end up together in the dorm and that they eventually became friends. It’s funny how different they are from each other, but still fit quite good together. I always like ‘weird friendship combos’.

Overall I liked the story a lot, however I have to admit that sometimes I skipped the fan fiction parts.
But the ending was just… I don’t know… it doesn’t feel like it’s over. I want a second book!! I have way to many questions that are still unanswered about what happens next. I don’t know if there are other people that feel this way? Let me know if you do!

“I miss you.”
"That’s stupid," she said. "I saw you this morning."
"It’s not the time," Levi said, and she could hear that he was smiling."It’s the distance.”



View this on Goodreads here.

No comments:

Post a Comment